NC Kite Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flat water spots

2 posters

Go down

Flat water spots Empty Flat water spots

Post  George Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:36 am

Anyone know a kiteboard spot on the Bogue sound?

I heard of a good flat water spot near figure eight island that you can get to by boat. anyone got the details? By boat i mean kayak.

G
George
George

Back to top Go down

Flat water spots Empty Re: Flat water spots

Post  Admin Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi George. I don't know about Bogue sound. For Figure Eight Island there's a spot called the Pond. Below is a description from an old website www.blowinginthewind.com. I haven't been there but from the description I think it's at the north end as seen in the image below. it looks like a good location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Figure+Eight+Island,+Wilmington,+NC&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.928295,113.291016&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Figure+Eight+Island&ll=34.293508,-77.719324&spn=0.003124,0.007231&t=h&z=18

From www.blowinginthewind.com

THE POND BEST WINDS: NW, N, NE

The Pond is the side side of the north end of Figure Eight Island. Figure Eight is actually a private island boasting homes of Hollywoods' elite as well as several prominent politicians. Figure Eight is located just north of Wrightsville beach, separated from Shell Island by an inlet, and is only accessible if you are lucky enough to know someone who lives there or own a boat. The most common spot is known as the “The Pond.” This is next to the northern inlet of Figure Eight. The pond is very unique in that there is a bar that wraps around in somewhat of a horseshoe making for some of the most butter smooth water and plenty of downwind room to perfect all your newest moves. In the height of the summer season the pond is a popular boating destination and is sometimes not rideable. But not to fear because there is plenty of room in the general area to ride, just be aware that on a falling tide the current can be a little strong. Figure Eight is a favorite spot because not only is there huge flat water potential but you can also work yourself upwind through the inlet and out to the surf. It’s the only spot around that provides the unique opportunity to ride a huge slick, and surf all in the same session.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://nckite.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down